Retroceder   VelocidadMaxima.com > General > Chat General
Home Forum Registrarse Mini-Banners Miembros Calendario

Chat General Temas serios, respuestas serias. Temas NO relacionados con carros, mecánica o la modificacion de motores que quieran discutir con seriedad.

Respuesta
ExclamationEste thread fue creado hace 5337 días. Lo mas probable es que el tema ya se haya resuelto y no necesite más discusión. Aunque si todavía crees que es necesario agregar un comentario, puedes hacerlo.

Herramientas
Antiguo 23-Oct-2009, 17:14   #51
songoku_emumania

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Re: Improving English: (only serious stuff allowed) read, write, comment and discuss.

Cita:
Iniciado por IROMBARSA Ver Mensaje
Here is another expression that intrigues me.

as i computer technician.. i am always in contact with people having trouble with their computers

and there's an expression that people use.. that it's hard for me figure out why they use it that way..

so here's the expression..

yeah, my computer was working fine but now it won't turn on

or my computer won't recognize the hard drive.. or my computer won't pick up my ipod.. etc, etc..

it means.. that the issue the are having with their computer is occurring at that moment which means, present.. so i just don't get why do they use.. won't.. instead of doesn't

i mean the most logic translation i can think of is.
as an example:

my computer won't turn on = mi computadora no va a encender

my computer doesn't turn on= mi computadora no enciende

but the first one is what people use even though it doesn't look like being present..

i don't know what do u think?

well I lived for around 9 years in the US and its just the way they speak XD , I never actually felt it was wrong until you brought it up.

Its like when you tell someone to do something and they say "I wont" , well people tell the computer tu turn on by pressing the "on" button and the computer will not turn on .
Its a bit hard to explain I guess its just the way people speak or because it just sounds right...

songoku_emumania está desconectado   Responder Citando
Sponsored Links

Antiguo 23-Oct-2009, 21:05   #52
kamikaze27
Got Jesus?

323; yd110s
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Re: Improving English: (only serious stuff allowed) read, write, comment and discuss.

Nice thread...
I need more vocabulary, fluentle, i will hope learnd more about english...in this thread..
Antiguo 23-Oct-2009, 21:08   #53
ariellopezgt

2004 Mazda 3i / E36
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Excelent idea! I guess most common problem when people learns a different language is grammar.

We need an English subsection at VM!

ariellopezgt está desconectado   Responder Citando
Antiguo 23-Oct-2009, 21:22   #54
lexmanz
A.F.C. Ajax fan

Glanza 97
Tiempo: Un talego
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Cita:
Here is another expression that intrigues me.

as i computer technician.. i am always in contact with people having trouble with their computers

and there's an expression that people use.. that it's hard for me figure out why they use it that way..

so here's the expression..

yeah, my computer was working fine but now it won't turn on

or my computer won't recognize the hard drive.. or my computer won't pick up my ipod.. etc, etc..

it means.. that the issue the are having with their computer is occurring at that moment which means, present.. so i just don't get why do they use.. won't.. instead of doesn't

i mean the most logic translation i can think of is.
as an example:

my computer won't turn on = mi computadora no va a encender

my computer doesn't turn on= mi computadora no enciende

but the first one is what people use even though it doesn't look like being present..

i don't know what do u think?
I think it´s just their way to say it (english speakers). I´m sure we (spanish speakers) make mistakes like that... I can´t come up with a good one right now, but for example:
Good morning = Buen día.....that´s correct; but we all say: Buenos días... my point is that instead of referring only to the current morning, we refer to several mornings... I think that´s wrong, but we all say it like that... so I think it´s only a common expression.

lexmanz está desconectado   Responder Citando
Antiguo 23-Oct-2009, 21:27   #55
lexmanz
A.F.C. Ajax fan

Glanza 97
Tiempo: Un talego

Cita:
Business English Idioms

Let's talk about business English idioms and what they mean.

Here's the first one: a ballpark figure.

Can you give us a ballpark figure? Can you give us an estimate?

Here's another way to use "ballpark".

Yes, that price is definitely in the ballpark. Let's set up a time to meet so that we can talk about this in more detail.

ballpark - This refers to a baseball park. If a price, a number, or a quantity is "in the ballpark", it is within one's requirements.

I think it's about time we raised the bar around here.

raise the bar - raise the standards for good work and achievement

Here's another one u might heard some one say, "Come on, people! Let's turn up the volume here."

He meant let's start making more phone calls and making some sales.

I can't believe it. Joe really dropped the ball on the New Bridge Electronics deal. I thought it was a sure thing.

drop the ball - be responsible for a failure, failed effort, or failed attempt

bang for the buck

MEANING: value for the money spent

EXAMPLE:

We were able to get a big bang for our buck when we advertised on the Internet.

"His handshake is like a wet jellyfish."
He is weak and indecisive. He's not the type of person you can trust.

Great stuff man!!!
lexmanz está desconectado   Responder Citando
Antiguo 24-Oct-2009, 00:43   #56
RealBot
Padawan

Miata M edition
Tiempo: 16.8 slow
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Cita:
Iniciado por ραтzιιε ραтz™ Ver Mensaje

I hope that now people take this seriously!!!!! great idea!!!

congrats for your prom patz, and yes, I'm her boyfriend boyfriend xD

ya tengo firma otra vez
RealBot está desconectado   Responder Citando
Antiguo 24-Oct-2009, 12:03   #57
maligno
Iconoclasta Confeso

El Pensamiento

For those who want to practice on sundays with us, all this information will be really useful.

Do not forget to meet us tomorrow morning at San Carlos University, in front of Rectoría Building, at 9:00.

P. S: Irombarsa, thanks for the thread, dude. The other one had become a total waste of time, since stupid, senseless posts were allowed.

P. S. 2: USAC's free WiFi... asdfñlkjasdfñ...

maligno está desconectado   Responder Citando
Antiguo 24-Oct-2009, 12:35   #58
IROMBARSA
Banned

Feedback Score: 67 reviews

Cita:
Iniciado por RealBot Ver Mensaje
congrats for your prom patz, and yes, I'm her boyfriend boyfriend xD

really? u wish....
IROMBARSA está desconectado   Responder Citando
Antiguo 24-Oct-2009, 12:36   #59
IROMBARSA
Banned

Cita:
Iniciado por moncho Ver Mensaje
For those who want to practice on sundays with us, all this information will be really useful.

Do not forget to reach us tomorrow morning at San Carlos University, in front of Rectoría Building, at 9:00.

P. S: Irombarsa, thanks for the thread, dude. The other one had become a total waist of time, since stupid, senseless posts were allowed.

P. S. 2: USAC's free WiFi... asdfñlkjasdfñ...
meet
waste you're welcome..
Antiguo 24-Oct-2009, 12:38   #60
maligno
Iconoclasta Confeso

El Pensamiento

Cita:
meet
waste you're welcome..
Post edited.

:monchoignorant: aañlksdhgñlafkha...

P. D: Fuck Velmax!
Antiguo 24-Oct-2009, 12:40   #61
maligno
Iconoclasta Confeso

El Pensamiento

Cita:

really? u wish....
With that nickname... Don't think so. But... who knows...
Antiguo 24-Oct-2009, 12:44   #62
IROMBARSA
Banned

Cita:
With that nickname... Don't thing so. But... who knows...

her brain had to be really messed up.. to be the girlfriend of this fool which i don't think is the case..
Antiguo 24-Oct-2009, 12:50   #63
maligno
Iconoclasta Confeso

El Pensamiento

Cita:
her brain had to be really messed up.. to be the girlfriend of this fool which i don't think is the case..
Weird things use to happen in this strange society, my friend. This could be one of those particular, unexplainable cases. Although... we won't find out but tomorrow morning, when she arrives to San Carlos University... I hope.

P. S: It is 'San Carlos University'...
Antiguo 24-Oct-2009, 13:05   #64
IROMBARSA
Banned

Cita:
Weird things use to happen in this strange society, my friend. This could be one of those particular, unexplainable cases. Although... we won't find out but tomorrow morning, when she arrives to San Carlos University... I hope.

P. S: It is 'San Carlos University'...
This humble building is where Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala, USAC, was founded as part of Francisco Marroquí*n’s wish and will. The USAC was the third university founded in the American continent, right after Mexico’s and Peru’s universities. It was founded by the name of Colegio Mayor de Santo Tomás, the School of Saint Thomas, on 1562 and it was officially declared a university on January 31st, 1676 by royal command of King Charles II of Spain.
Nowadays, the Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala is considered one of the best public universities in Central America. It is the only public university in the country

Universidad de San Carlos (USAC)
Agreement | Proposal (in Spanish)

1. Thematic Network: Invasive Species
2. Summary: During 6 years of sampling (2003-2008), with financed by various national institutions, floral visitors of the group insects were collected in different types of ecosystems in Guatemala. The sites were systematic sampling was carried out are: 1) Esquipulas Chiquimula, in the El Salvador and Honduras border; 2) The semiarid forest of Guatemala (El progreso and Zacapa); 3) The Lachua Lagoon National park; 4) The Botanical Garden, in Guatemala City. Moreover, we have carried out sporadic sampling throughout the country, collecting bees of the Meliponini tribe, which are important for honey production and play an important role in the pollination of tropical forests. We have a total of 7,934 records of pollinating bees and their food plant. This information, once digitized and made available to Guatemalan society, will be very important for decision making and its use in economic activities.

3. Period: 10 months (August 24, 2009 to June 24, 2010)
4. Amount: US Dollars 10,000
5. Status: In Progress
6. Coordinator: Maria Eunice Enriquez Cotton

Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala is one of the 9000 Universities, reviewed and sorted by web popularity ranking, included in the 4icu.org.

ENOUGH?
Antiguo 24-Oct-2009, 13:10   #65
anakin75

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

thanks for the thread, it will helpful for everyone, but it will require that people like you Ironbarsa, should be reviewing our post constantly

I'll try to aswer the "eat '" issue...
rds
anakin75 está desconectado   Responder Citando
Antiguo 24-Oct-2009, 13:22   #66
maligno
Iconoclasta Confeso

El Pensamiento

Cita:
This humble building is where Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala, USAC, was founded as part of Francisco Marroquí*n’s wish and will. The USAC was the third university founded in the American continent, right after Mexico’s and Peru’s universities. It was founded by the name of Colegio Mayor de Santo Tomás, the School of Saint Thomas, on 1562 and it was officially declared a university on January 31st, 1676 by royal command of King Charles II of Spain.
Nowadays, the Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala is considered one of the best public universities in Central America. It is the only public university in the country

Universidad de San Carlos (USAC)
Agreement | Proposal (in Spanish)

1. Thematic Network: Invasive Species
2. Summary: During 6 years of sampling (2003-2008), with financed by various national institutions, floral visitors of the group insects were collected in different types of ecosystems in Guatemala. The sites were systematic sampling was carried out are: 1) Esquipulas Chiquimula, in the El Salvador and Honduras border; 2) The semiarid forest of Guatemala (El progreso and Zacapa); 3) The Lachua Lagoon National park; 4) The Botanical Garden, in Guatemala City. Moreover, we have carried out sporadic sampling throughout the country, collecting bees of the Meliponini tribe, which are important for honey production and play an important role in the pollination of tropical forests. We have a total of 7,934 records of pollinating bees and their food plant. This information, once digitized and made available to Guatemalan society, will be very important for decision making and its use in economic activities.

3. Period: 10 months (August 24, 2009 to June 24, 2010)
4. Amount: US Dollars 10,000
5. Status: In Progress
6. Coordinator: Maria Eunice Enriquez Cotton

Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala is one of the 9000 Universities, reviewed and sorted by web popularity ranking, included in the 4icu.org.

ENOUGH?
Fuck... you won. I can't defeat that.

Thanks for the data, man.
Antiguo 25-Oct-2009, 09:24   #67
RealBot
Padawan

Miata M edition
Tiempo: 16.8 slow
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Cita:

really? u wish....
I ain't talking to you moddafucka askdljfaksdjfasd

and I'm not saying that I'm Patz' boyfriend, it was something that I was telling to her, because she knows my Girlfriend

so
RealBot está desconectado   Responder Citando
Respuesta

Normas de Publicación