Ver Mensaje Individual
Antiguo 06-Sep-2006, 14:32   #1
TRD-Power
EP82

historia del evolution

es copy/paste

History of the Evolution

To fans of the world rally racing circuit of the early 1980s, the excitement of the short-lived, three-year long reign of the Group B division was an unforgettable motor sports memory.A loosely interpreted rulebook helped Group B become history’s most extreme rally class and helped to establish the most fiendishly quick and powerful vehicles rally racing had ever seen contested for championship points.Audi, Ford and Peugeot, among others, fielded factory supported teams to carry what soon became 400-plus horsepower, mid-engine, Kevlar bodied, four-wheel-drive, multi-surface supercars that defined the Group B class.
Between fierce manufacturer competition and the Federation Internationale De L’Automobile (FIA) governing body’s relaxed rulebook, Group B became an ideal motor sport division for the swift development of vehicles using experimental technologies. Group B’s flexible homologation requirements allowed manufacturers to introduce modified or advanced“evolution” versions of their race vehicles at any point during the season once twenty copies of the vehicle had been produced. Evolution versions of Group B cars, such as the Ford RS200 Evolution allowed engineers to legally incorporate the additional engine, traction, and aerodynamic enhancements required to keep pace with similar mechanical advances made by competitors.
By 1986, the cars were so quick and the handling so tenuous that the vehicles were challenging their driver’s capacity to handle them on the narrow, spectator-crowded rally roads. The concern for safety, brought on by several fatal accidents, renewed the commitment to responsible racing that eventually brought about the sensible demise to both group B and the even wilder, stillborn Group S rally category at the end of the 1986 season.Beyond fabulous, petrol-soaked memories, the legacy left by Group B can still be seen in the technological influence that these fast, tall-winged, turbo-charged evolution versions of technical rally wizardry have had on current rally vehicles.Nowhere is that influence more evident than on Mitsubishi Motors’ homologation vehicles known simply as “evo’s.”

Lancer Evolution I

Lancer Evolution I in showroom trim.

While Group B might have been responsible for introducing rally racing fans to the concept of highly developed, limited production “evolution” vehicles, the word “evolution” has now become synonymous with the Mitsubishi Lancer series that competed in the Group A division after the demise of Group B.In October of 1992, Mitsubishi unleashed the first of what would ultimately become an all-conquering breed of Group A rally weapons: the Lancer Evolution I.This lightweight, compact, turbocharged, all-wheel-drive, four-door sedan replaced the heavier Galant sedan that had been competing on the rally circuit. The Lancer Evolution I showcased Mitsubishi’s technology at the time and implemented the lessons learned from the campaign that fielded a Galant in competition from 1988-1990.

Lancer Evolution I in competition.

To homolgate the Lancer Evolution I for competition in Group A, rules specified that at least 2,500 units had to be built for public consumption.This homologation model featured a 2.0-liter, DOHC, turbocharged engine that put out about 250 PS (Japanese power rating) with what had been the Galant VR-4 all-wheel-drive sedan.The Lancer Evolution I unibody was reinforced with additional welds and materials to improve torsional rigidity by 20 percent.
The suspension was modified with pillow ball mounts replacing bushings on the control arms mounting points.An aluminum hood helped reduce weight to a feathery 1,170 kgs while a front spoiler and lift reducing rear spoiler offered improved aerodynamics. As a road car, the Lancer Evolution I offered exhilarating performance in the compact sedan category, and began to whet the appetites of Japanese and European enthusiasts for later versions.

Lancer Evolution II

Lancer Evolution II in showroom trim.

In late 1993, Mitsubishi released the Lancer Evolution II to the public to meet competition vehicle rules requirements in the FIA’s Group A rally division.Based on the same Lancer chassis as the Lancer Evolution I, the Lancer Evolution II incorporated performance improvements that had resulted from the lessons learned on the rally circuit. The Lancer Evolution II specification raised engine output by 10 PS thanks in large part to a less restrictive exhaust system that reduced backpressure. The Lancer Evolution II’s front control arms and struts were lengthened to improve wheelstroke and handling increasing the vehicle’s cornering limits.In addition, lightweight O·ZÒ aluminum road wheels help improve suspension performance with a reduction in unsprung weight.

Lancer Evolution II in competition.

Lancer Evolution III

Lancer Evolution III sedan.

The Lancer Evolution III debuted in 1995 adding yet another 10 PS of total output for a total of 270 PS at 6,250 rpm thanks to a new turbo compressor and less restrictive exhaust, and an additional intercooler sprayer that helped stabilize boost and power at high speeds.Aerodynamic improvements dominated the exterior appearance of the Lancer Evolution III.With a revised air dam, side skirts, and a much larger rear wing, the Lancer Evolution III wore an aerodynamic package that helped improve high speed handling as well as add visual distinction.The Lancer Evolution III was the first Lancer vehicle to enjoy outright victories on the world rally stage.Lancer Evolution III’s victories began to cultivate a reputation as one of the world’s top shelf performance cars and through the 1996 season helped Tommi Makinen win his first driver’s title and garnered Mitsubishi a second place in the manufacturers title.

Lancer Evolution III in competition.

The Lancer Evolution III sedan was the first to enjoy outright victory in the World Rally Championship.

Page generated in 0,06709 seconds with 11 queries